Sunday, March 16, 2008

Shamrocks 5k Race Report

Well it was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

Not really - it was warmish for March, it was mostly cloudy, but bearable, with hints of sunshine that made it feel about 10 degrees warmer.

I was running with Jenn (who writes much funnier race reports than I do) and by running with I mean we were standing next to each other at the beginning and she waited for me at the end, in part because I drove to the race and had her purse in the car. View her blog to see the course and her report.

I would tell you more, but Blogspot ate my post and I am too exhausted to type it all again. Save as Draft my ass.

And yes, I am wearing beads with a lobster on it - or a crawfish if you want to be specific - Yeah mardi gras! And yes I used the short picture of Jenn so that she would not tower over me like the giant she actually is.

Well I'm killing time until I have to go to the dentist, so I can fill out more of what happened at the race yesterday.

So a few weeks ago, Jenn and I did theSuperbowl 5k together. She pulled my ass along and we finished in 39.00.03 min (to be precise, according to their clock) which I was excited about since it was the first 5k I had run since the Detroit Half and the Lansing Legislator. I finished under 40 and was happy with that. Since then I've been working out more, swimming, cardio karate, lifting, and running at the Y doing a mile here and there. I guess there were some improvements.

So I was a bit shocked when I saw my time for Shamrocks - 36:23. That is almost a 3 min drop in 6 weeks - CRAZY!

Here is how my race went - it was a 4 lap loop, with a big down hill at the beginning of the loop and a biiiiig up hill at the end of the loop. Lovely, let me tell you.

Jenn and I had gotten there early (still didn't get a shirt - 24 people too late) to watch the elite heat (boy can some of those people run fast) and just hang out. When our race started, I let Jenn go and I tried to enjoy my ipod, which is green so I felt justified in using it, although I usually don't when I race. Mile one was CRAZY fast 10:50. That is a 1:30 than my normal mile pace when I normally run just 1 mile. Needless to say this sorta freaked me out and had me worried about how mile 3 was going to go. Up the hill, down the hill and get to mile 2 marker - 11:34. A pretty big drop in time, but STILL nearly a minute ahead of my typical mile pace. I was starting to overheat about this time, because the sun had started to peak out from behind the clouds, I probably shouldn't have worn the vest, but I was chilly and I'm a wuss like that. Mile 3.1 - 13:53, which means mile 3 was about 13:23, give or take. A HUGE drop from mile 2, a min slower than my normal average, but after 4 hill repeats, I was just glad I was able to run the whole way. With a total watch time of 36:18 (clock time 36:23), that makes for an average pace of about 11:43. 40 seconds faster than my normal mile pace - CRAZY!!! My foot hurts like hell, but it was an awesome race and gives me hope that my Tri season won't totally be dependent on the Swim and Bike like last year.

No comments: